- Find your MPP's contact information. Be sure to cc Minister Indira Naidoo-Harris at: email@example.com
- Use the template below to write, email or call your MPP and tell them that it's time to solve the child care crisis in Ontario.
Dear MPP ________________:
[INTRODUCE YOURSELF. TELL THEM YOU ARE A CONSTITUENT AND A VOTER.]
I am contacting you because we have a child care crisis in Ontario.
- Parent fees are the highest in the country.
- Educators struggle with inadequate wages and precarious work.
- There are not enough quality, public and non-profit programs for families that need them.
The Ontario government has promised to transform early learning and child care but we need to work together to ensure that this is done right.
Ontario should move from a child care patchwork to a real system. Specifically, we need government action on three transformative ideas:
- Affordable fees for parents. We should replace individual fee subsidies with a more modern approach. Ontario should base fund child care programs and set an affordable, geared to income, sliding fee scale.
- Decent work for educators. To hire and keep the best staff we need Ontario to make fair wages and good working conditions a priority. Funding programs based on fair wages for educators will help us build good, stable programs for our children.
- Limit for-profit child care. We need every child care dollar going to our kids, not to profits. Ontario should ensure that none of the new 100,000 child care spaces be in profit-making operations.
We need the Ontario government to make these ideas the foundation of a transformed child care system. And we need every political party to support these ideas.
As my elected representative, can I count on your support for these solutions to Ontario’s child care crisis? Please let me know that I can count on your support.