Do you have an opinion on your experience with child care? Would you like to share your story? We want to hear from you about your experiences with child care options in Ontario. Take the parent survey!
Avez-vous une opinion sur votre expérience avec la garde des enfants? Aimeriez-vous partager votre expérience? Nous voulons entendre parler de vous au sujet de vos expériences avec des options de garde d'enfants en Ontario. Prenez le sondage auprès des parents!
Share this Video!
Please check out the following video "A Day Without Child Care". This video presents the importance of child care services in a humorous context. I encourage you to share this video on social media!
Parents, looking for Child Care?
When looking for child care, most parents are looking for a licensed child care space in a child care centre or in licensed home child care.
Licensed child care means that the providers are following the Day Nurseries Act, that those providers are inspected and there is support for providers – especially important for home child care sites.
Child care centres are inspected yearly, licensed home child care are inspected at least four times a year, sometimes more.
- You can find a licensed child care near you by following this link: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/finding.html
- You can find a licensed home child care agency by following this link: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/homebased.html
However, there is not enough licensed child care to meet the need of families. In fact, Ontario only has a licensed child care space for 20% of all children.
- Choosing a unlicensed provider is a difficult choice. You can access resources from the Canadian Child Care Federation on what to look for in choosing child care for your child by following this link: http://www.cccf-fcsge.ca/parents/
- Complaints regarding unlicensed child care: Have you seen a unlicensed provider with more than 5 children? It’s illegal and unsafe. Ontario has a complaints-based system for unlicensed child care.
- The only protection for children is a complaint so if you see something that isn’t right – report it. For information on complaints, please find the Ministry of Education office in your area: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/offices.html