The "Daycare Disaster" has generated stories in many papers. A snapshot of the coverage is listed here with links to the stories.
- Feb 9, 2009, Sudbury Star, to read the full article, click here.
Columnist Ruth Farquahar takes on the UCCB as a poor substitute for child care.
“Today marks the third anniversary of the cancellation of 10 provincial agreements signed by the previous Liberal government on early learning and child care in Canada,” said Mr. Savage. “All of these agreements, along with the five billion dollars of long-term stable funding to create quality, affordable and accessible spaces, were abandoned.
- February 6, 2009, CBC.ca, To read the full article, please click here
It was first proposed in 1970 - a program that would provide affordable daycare across the country. It was promised when Brian Mulroney and the Conservatives swept to power in 1984. And again four years later.But the economic climate began to shift — and in 1997, Quebec introduced its own daycare system, offering subsidized spaces at $5 a day. Demand quickly surpassed supply.
- Feb 5, 2009 , Toronto Star, To read article, please click here.
Toronto stands to lose 6,000 daycare spots: With federal funds set to run out and no promises from province, future of subsidized places in doubt
- Feb 4, 2009, CBC News, To read article, please click here.
McGuinty won't commit to saving threatened daycare spaces
Feb 5, 2009, Toronto Sun, To read article, please click here
Little hope for daycare dollars from feds
Feb 4, 2009, Canadian Press, To read article, please click here
Toronto daycare losses will be repeated across province: child-care advocate
Feb 4, 2009, Windsor Star, To read article, please click here
Windsor, other cities facing daycare crunch
- Feb 5, 2009, Niagara Falls Review, To read full article, please click here.
Little hope for day-care cash for cities
- Feb 4, 2009, CTV, To read article, please click here
Advocate wants gov't action on child care
- Feb 4, 2009, CITY News, To read article, please click here
6,000 Daycare Spots Could Vanish In T.O.
- Feb 5, 2009, St. Catharines Standard, To read article,please click here.
Subsidized day care in jeopardy: advocates