Ontario child care advocates call on Premier Doug Ford to cooperate with the federal government on child care
Ontario child care advocates are celebrating today’s federal budget commitment of $30 Billion to early learning and child care. Advocates are also sending a strong message to Ontario Premier Doug Ford that Ontario must accept federal leadership on child care and work cooperatively with Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to build a real system of early learning and child care for Ontario families.Read more
The Association of Early Childhood Educators Ontario and the Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care have written an open letter calling on the Ontario government to protect and respect the early childhood education and care (ECEC) sector:
• Increase funding to ensure the safety and well-being of educators, children and families;
• Prevent the further loss of early years and child care programs;
• Ensure transparent communication and collaboration with the sector.
“An insult to educators, children and families”: Child care community views on the Ontario government’s proposed changes to the Child Care and Early Years Act.
- Executive summary in PDF
- Full report in PDF
- Press release: Two new reports show overwhelming opposition to Ford government’s proposed child care regulations
- Fact sheet: Ontario's child care regulation proposal October 2020
The Ontario government is proposing changes to the Child Care and Early Years Act. The proposed regulations would make substantial changes to age ranges, staff to child ratios and group sizes (called “Schedule 2”); staff qualifications; before- and after-school programs; and discusses the introduction of an unlicensed child care registry.
The Association of Early Childhood Educators Ontario and the Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care carried out an online survey on the changes with 2,443 respondents (1,693 Early Childhood Educators and 741 parents with children in child care). The survey found overwhelming opposition to most of the proposed regulatory changes. Respondents were especially concerned about changes to age groups, staff to child ratios and qualifications.Read more
- Full report in PDF in English / en français
- Executive summary in PDF in English / en français
- Press release: "Ontario must get child care right from reopening to recovery"
- Watch a webinar with the report's authors
- One-click: Send a message to our federal and provincial leaders.
- Share this one-page action plan with your MP and MPP.
- Campaign Toolkit in PDF
Ontario's Financial Accountability Office (FAO) has issued a scathing report of the Ford Conservatives' tax credit scheme.Read more